Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Tahiti

The first stop on my Churchill Fellowship travels to investigate the methods used to load & unload containers at small, isolated islands was a 30 Hour stopover in Tahiti.


I took the opportunity to visit the team at Transam Polynesie. Not only are they port agents for Pacific Direct Line, but they are also agents for Marfret - a large container ship operator that operates a Round the World service linking various French Territories with France. I could not believe my luck to find they had the Marfret Container ship in port on the one and only day I was in Papeete.

Stephen Nehemia from Transam Polynesie took me on a tour of the Papeete port, where I was able to see the cargo operations of the Marfret container ship. The Papeete port is on a small island on the edge of the reef that rings the island of Tahiti. The main wharf has room for 2 large container ships, together with numerous small wharves for the inter-island cargo ships.



No comments:

Post a Comment